Tuesday, June 14

Avoidance.

 
Avoidance. It's that thing that happens when you know there is something you should take care of and you choose not to. Maybe the reason is blatantly obvious or painfully subtle. Maybe the reason is excusable or unavoidable. For me, the reason is usually that I am choosing to shut down that area of my life until I am ready to deal with it – or {and probably more honestly} allow God to deal with me. 

My avoidance usually manifests itself in simple things like cleaning my room or my car… I've told my friends that if they want to know the state of my brain, just take a peek inside my car.  Are hundreds of papers, 7 shoes, a suitcase from my trip last week, 42 empty water bottles, a bra, and a travel mug {or two – gross} with old coffee in it rolling around...? Then that's how my brain feels.

This time I took my avoidance out on this blog. 

There are some good, excusable reasons {to divulge in future posts} as to why I disappeared but there were also some totally God-avoidance reasons as to why I disappeared. But for now this is just an "I'm sorry" to our 2 readers who are out there somewhere… maybe? 

The confession we say most Sundays at my church always pricks my heart:
 
"Almighty and most merciful Father, we have erred and strayed from Your ways like lost sheep. We have followed too much the devices and desires of our own hearts. We have offended against Your holy laws. We have left undone those things which we ought to have done; and we have done those things which we ought not to have done. Spare those, O God, who confess their faults. Restore those who are penitent; according to Your promises declared unto men in Christ Jesus our Lord. Grant that we may hereafter live a godly, righteous, and sober life; to the glory of His name. Amen." 

So not that anyone cares that this small little IP address in the middle of the vast inter-web has been dormant – but it just feels good to say, "I'm sorry for leaving this undone."

More coming soon…
 
- George's Girl

1 comment: