Monday, October 25

He May Not Love Horses


As I was walking back from having lunch with a dear friend, we'll call her Hardin House... I couldn't help but chuckle at the dating questions that had just been hurled at me. "Will I ever find someone? What if he asks me why I don't pray for a full hour (or heaven forbid more) every day? What if he thinks my family is weird? I must marry a manly man... what if {GASP!} he doesn't love horses?"

Yes, Hardin House was being a little nuts, but let's just throw it out there that all girls have a bit of crazy living inside of them. (The first step ladies, is admitting we have a problem.) But regardless, haven't we all been scared, even if for a moment, that "God's best" will somehow leave us disappointed? That as Christians we will be called to commit our lives to someone that will leave us wishing they were somehow different. A question that always comes up is, "How do I know when I've found the person that God has for me?" Paul states in 1st Corinthians, "For it is better to marry than to be aflame with passion." Aflame! That's what our desire will be for our spouse- if it's not, then they are not.

My friend, PBP, proposed that maybe a good "How do I know if it's him" test may be to pit him up against what you've always thought you wanted. It's my guess that you won't care if he has horses, or if staying in Austin prevents you from getting your dream job, because you will get to be with that person. Your expectations will change, the dreams that you had for your life will turn into the dream that you share for a different future. If you're not ready to relinquish control of every decision being about you, consider that you aren't ready for your life to revolve around someone else. And that's ok too.

Friends, living life in partnership with someone is not an easy thing, but that's why we have Christ. He enables us to love like we never have and die to self on a daily basis for a life time. Remember, that our God is the one who said that "it is not good for man to be alone" (Genesis 2:18) He might not love horses, but he will love you... and you won't be disappointed.


-George's Girl & PBP

No comments:

Post a Comment