Tuesday, October 26

Sing It, Doris


Doris Day.  

If that name means nothing to you, please immediately Netflix the following: Calamity Jane, Pillow Talk, Glass Bottom Boat, Please Don't Eat the Dasies, With Six you get Eggroll, and of course, The Pajama Game.

I love her, the characters she plays, and the messes she gets herself into. It's highly probable that I love her because I am, myself, a huge mess... hopefully, those around me find it "endearing."

Over the weekend, for about the 137th time, I rented & sang along to The Pajama Game. Now, I have come to grips with the fact that not everyone loves & adores musicals the way I do - but every now and then there is a scene that is too good not to share.  

{Scene Set-up: Babe (Doris) works in a pajama factory and there is a new superintendent in town. Her chatty (and slightly ding-y) co-workers have decided that these two need to get together. Babe vehemently disagrees. Please forgive her haircut...Sing it, Doris.} 



Haven't we all found ourselves in this situation?!? Well, if you haven't I certainly have. Well-meaning friends try to push you in to dating/falling for someone (who hasn't really asked, anyway) and you trying to keep you cool - stay aloof - hold expectations loosely - maybe even demand that you are "not at all" interested. With an eye-roll I have often dismissed my friends proddings.

But there's something else going on here, too... her friends are right. Babe's
interests have been sparked and she can't quite admit to herself that she might really be interested, because what if he isn't...?

Friends, when we find ourselves anxious about feelings that we don't know what to do with - or that don't seem to be reciprocated -  instead of hiding, dismissing, concealing those feelings "...let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful." {Hebrews 10:22-23}

He is faithful. Let's remember to put our hope in Him when a guy comes along - because to be in relationship with people is good and to be in relationship with God is ultimate. Hope in the Lord, day-dream about his kingdom, take in the beauty that he has painted around you. 

{Side-note: I have a friend, let's call her Cloud Girl, who waves at sunflowers to remind her of God's beauty... I laughed at her when she first told me this (not with her - at her). She knew it was a nutty move, but I think she understands the Lord's beauty more deeply than anyone I know. I'm hoping she will be a contributor to this little site very soon.}

If our heart lies with Him, there is no need for self preservation, hiding our feelings, or being stubborn. (I might have to repeat that sentence to myself as a daily mantra....) So, shout aloud, laugh with friends and wave at sunflowers -we've got nothing to hide.

-George's Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment