Monday, November 22

When You Care Enough to Send the Very Best

Lately I have been toying with the idea of writing again. Writing used to occupy a significant and vital role in my life.  It allowed me a creative outlet, a way in which to express myself and to stretch my creative muscles. And along with that, it also allowed me an opportunity to process through various issues. But despite the good that writing has afforded me in the past, for the last few years I have laid it aside.
In the midst of questioning my reason for this, George's Girl approached me about her blog. She told me a little bit about it and asked if I would be willing to participate. Sure, I said. This would be the perfect opportunity to put immediate legs on my decision to begin writing again. And I would have an easy topic on which to write - singleness. I had plenty to say on singleness.
I had a day off from work, so I decide there was no time like the present. I would begin writing today. So I packed my laptop, my journal, and a book, and I headed to a coffee shop.    
I found a table and settled in, coffee in hand. Now, what to write about? Singleness... single female in the church... the church not understanding single people, especially women... perfect. Here began my single-girl-in-the-church-rant about how fellow believers don’t quite know what to do with single women. But not two paragraphs into my musings, and I was interrupted.  
“Is someone sitting here?”
I looked up to see a completely adorable boy smiling at me as he pointed to the table next to mine. Seriously?! Seriously.  
“No. I don’t think so.”  
His smile broadened as he looked down at the book sitting next to my laptop - Shop Class as Soul Craft.  
“I love that book, by the way. It’s really great.” he said almost laughingly, clearly in some disbelief that I was reading it.  
Who was this guy? I mean really - what Austin-boy wears jeans, a fleece and chacos? And who on earth has ever heard of Shop Class as Soul Craft?
Let me stop here to explain something about myself. I am that girl who’s never had a boyfriend. I’m that girl who’s never even really been asked out on a date. I’m that girl who’s always the best friend and never more than that. I am that girl who cannot see herself fulfilling any other role. Singleness, I know. Boys, I do not.
And now here I was, sitting next to this adorable, intelligent boy, who was kind of flirting with me. And what was I doing? I was writing a single-girl-in-the-church-rant about how fellow believers don’t quite know what to do with single women. Of course I was.  
Needless to say, I couldn’t concentrate. I kept thinking that at any moment he would peer over my shoulder or ask me what I was working on. And how was I supposed to explain that? So for the next hour I tried to make myself look incredibly smart and attractive as I got absolutely nothing written.  
We chatted a little more over the next hour. But no phone numbers were exchanged,  and nothing of any significance occurred. As I drove away from the coffee shop, I realized that instead of being disappointed that nothing had happened, I was actually excited. I was excited that a cute boy had shown interest in me.  
And just like that, once again, God had shown his gentle kindness to me. Instead of letting me launch headlong into my single-girl-in-the-church-rant, instead of letting me dig further and further into the hurt of being single, the Lord had gently diverted my attention. He had gently, even comically, encouraged me. It was as if He had sent a Hallmark card just for me. 
Ridiculous? Yes.  
But true. 

-Lula Mae

No comments:

Post a Comment